How to Choose a Protocol Analyzer?
If you are in the market for the buying or choosing a Protocol Analyzer, how do you know which one is right one for you? There are many options to choose from and looking at the various technical specifications can be a daunting task. This article gives you some factors to consider when considering your purchase.
● Protocol Specification support: There are various protocols like I2C, SPI, and I3C. First is to know the kind of protocol to be analyzed and debugged in your design. Make sure the latest protocol specification is supported and the protocol analyzer is backward compatible.
● Protocol Analysis: The protocol analyzer needs to have the ability to do lower layer and upper layer protocol analysis and decode of the captured packet. The software of the protocol analyzer needs to give a good view of the underlying packet and captured protocol sequence.
● Trigger Capability: A good protocol analyzer has the ability to set complex and nested triggers. Understanding the trigger level and capability will help you select the right protocol analyzer for you.
● Protocol Search: The protocol analyzer needs to have ability to search some sequence of the protocol sequence.
● Capture duration: During complex engineering debug a very long capture sequence is required to do the analysis .Hence having very large capture can be an added advantage.
● Host Interface: USB 2.0 is the most commonly used interface for the protocol analyzer some of them also have interfaces to the network using gigabit Ethernet.
● Error Injection: The protocol analyzer needs to have the ability to introduce various kinds of protocol error to test the communication interface or bus.
●Traffic Generation: Generating various kinds of traffic is very important for the protocol analyzer, back to back traffic data on the bus can help decode corner cases design issues in the system.
Other Features to consider
● Support: Once you have the protocol analyzer in your hand and run into issues during debug you will need a good team to support the debug issues in hand. Every company offers various levels of support.
● Shipping Lead Time: Once the protocol analyzer is ordered the product needs to be shipped to the development location. Please check the lead times well in advance before ordering.
● Year of development: It’s always good to pick up a product which is stable in the market and used by many customers already.
● Ease of Use : Most of the protocol analyzers are used to debug hard engineering problems and ease of use and integration into the development environment are very important feature for the product.
Choosing a Protocol Analyzer can be a daunting task, and this guide will help you easily navigate the process of selecting the protocol analyzer. As the complexity of the protocol increases so does the cost of the product.
Prodigy offers I3C protocol analyzer, UFS protocol analyzer, and SPI protocol analyzer,, and I2C protocol analyzer that supports advanced features like API integration to provide long capture for debugging and the ability to reflash and keep the specification features up to date. Do Visit our Product Page Below for the Newest Product Updates.