Home Forums I2C (Inter-Integrated Circuit) Forum What is I2C communication?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I2C communication is the short form for inter-integrated circuits. It is a communication protocol developed by Philips Semiconductors for the transfer of data between a central processor and multiple ICs on the same circuit board using just two common wires. Owing to its simplicity, it is widely adopted for communication between microcontrollers and sensor arrays, displays, IoT devices, EEPROMs etc. This is a type of synchronous serial communication protocol. It means that data bits are transferred one by one at regular intervals of time set by a reference clock line.

1. Only two common bus lines (wires) are required to control any device/IC on the I2C network
    2. No need of prior agreement on data transfer rate like in UART communication. So the data transfer speed can be adjusted whenever required
    3. Simple mechanism for validation of data transferred
    4. Uses 7-bit addressing system to target a specific device/IC on the I2C bus
    5. I2C networks are easy to scale. New devices can simply be connected to the two common I2C bus lines

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.